- The USA is the world’s largest producer of nuclear power, accounting for more than 30% of worldwide nuclear generation of electricity.
- The country’s 100 nuclear reactors produced 798 billion kWh in 2015, over 19% of total electrical output. There are four reactors under construction.
- Following a 30-year period in which few new reactors were built, it is expected that four more new units will come online by 2021, resulting from 16 license applications made since mid-2007 to build 24 new nuclear reactors.
- Government policy changes since the late 1990s have helped pave the way for significant growth in nuclear capacity.
- Some states have liberalized wholesale electricity markets, which makes the financing of capital-intensive power projects difficult, and coupled with lower gas prices since 2009, have put the economic viability of some existing reactors and proposed projects in doubt.
Today the importance of nuclear power in USA is geopolitical as much as economic, reducing dependency on oil and gas. While there are plans for new reactors, no more than four new units will come online by 2021.
ICI understands the heavy regulations, processes, the need to improve the reliability of the units and support operating license extensions which require extensive review of plant equipment condition. ICI has the honor of representing licensed suppliers mentioned in references in India’s Nuclear Power Plants for offering our innovative process Instruments solutions as well as number of import substitutes. ICI strives to obtain needed licensing and is confident of meeting stringent requirements. We are engaged in constant product development in response to the changing needs & look forward with confidence to a future of continuous innovation & increasing standards of performance.
(Sources: World Nuclear Association)